Wednesday, September 21, 2011

An Italian Escape

Walking in the Cathedral district of River North is an experience all on its own.  Holy Name Cathedral stands as an anachronism pocketed between modern skyscrapers.  Lush trees and gardens line the road.  The street here is always in the shade, as the buildings are so high.  Yet there is still a glare from the blue plate-glass windows of the towers.  This is where wealth lives, dines, and plays.  You can almost smell the money.  Then, you smell the Italian.

On Huron and Wabash, wedged underneath a high-rise of its own, L'Appetito brings the Italian neighborhood feel to the big city.  I've been going to this deli for two years, and it always has me coming back for more.  Once you've walked through the doors into L'Appetito, you are transported into a different, simpler, and more wonderful world filled with Italian paninis, pizza, pasta, and groceries.  What could be better?  If you ask me, e buonissimo!

The Panini Counter
I lived in Rome, Italy for six months last year.  While I was there, I fell in love with everything about it, especially the food.  I have no Italian blood in me, but if my soul had a nationality, it would be 100% Italian.  Whenever I go to L'Appetito, I feel like I'm not only eating a slice of pizza, but indulging in a slice of the country I miss so much.

L'Appetito has a second location right underneath the Hancock building.  However, this store is often flooded with tourists and loses the appeal of a small Italian home-style deli.  Plus, Jamba Juice is right next door, and nothing kills traditional Italian flavors like overpriced organic smoothies.  Don't get me wrong; I have nothing against Jamba Juice.  I just wouldn't put a Mango-a-go-go smoothie with a slice of L'Appetito pizza.

Handmade Desserts
Anyway, lets get back to River North's little Italian gem.  L'Appetito features imported Italian groceries and coffees.  If it's authentic Italian pasta you're looking for, this is the place to find it.  They also sell gift baskets, packed full of treats.  The friendly young Italian men behind the counter make the best panini in town.  You can customize your own or go with one of the pre-made options from their menu.




The Gelato Counter: Resistance is Futile
The small restaurant has an area where customers can sit and eat their purchases, as well as an outdoor patio, to remind us all that we are still  among glass giants in River North.  However, all of their foods can be packaged to go.  When I leave the store and the city rushes back onto me, it's nice to know that I have a little brown sack of Italy in my hand.

Once you've decided on the savory part of your course (which might just take you all day), you absolutely must try something sweet.  The genius minds behind L'Appetito strategically placed their handmade dessert and gelato counter right by the door.  It's easy to ignore on your way in, but stronger souls than I have tried to overlook it on the way out.  I've never left the deli without a couple of cookies at least. The little handmade confections stare at you from behind their glass case, and the shyer girls behind this counter, by nature, induce you to buy something.  The Italians are masters of pastries, and this is a fine example.

The deli was founded on Columbus Day in 1981 by Anthony Spatara, his wife Christine, and their children Anthony (Jr.), and Licia.  Anthony and Christine were born in Italy and wanted to bring the country's spirit to the midwest's largest city.  The location at 30 E. Huron Street was the first, and was so popular that the family decided to expand to the more touristy North Michigan Avenue.


No comments:

Post a Comment